Friday, April 22, 2011

Why you want long hair anyways?

NFL player Troy Polamalu


Correction...
I don't want long hair, I want to know that I have the option of having long hair.
Contrary to what most people might think my hair journey is not a vanity project. I'm not trying to get hair down my waist so I can swing it and show off to people just how beautiful I think I am. That's not the purpose of this journey (and documenting it) in the slightest.
If you're a woman (or even a man) of African descent then I gather that you're familiar with the kind of attributes usually assigned to the hair that we have supposedly been "cursed" with: 
Unruly
Hard 
Rough
Unmanageable
 Nappy
Ugly
also kinky and coarse but the negative connotations of the words. However, those words are usually used to describe the hair in its natural states. And for many black women the solution to taming that wild mane of hair was the relaxer, "relaxing" the natural tightly curled or coiled texture to a straight one. And like clockwork, every number of weeks or every time the unruly natural hairs began to show themselves again, we would relax those hairs again making them bone straight. Now don't get me wrong, this is not a relaxed hair bashing, which would be contradictory considering the fact that I'm relaxed, this is just to demonstrate the sort of negative stereotypical thinking that tends to surround Afro-textured hair. And even in it's relaxed state, the hair is bashed for the fact that being chemically treated it is devastatingly unhealthy. But commonality shared between relaxed and natural afro-textured hair is that this "unfortunate" type of hair that we have just won't grow. And consequently we black women are reduced to wearing weaves to hide the shame of our hair and achieve lengths that are thought to be impossible given our race.

So many misconceptions surround afro-textured hair, it's amazing and the purpose of my hair journey is to shatter each and every one of them, particularly the one about the misfortune about the nature of the hair and about growth. My goal is to discard those myths that have surrounded afro-textured hair and kept us from appreciating the hair in all its states whether natural, relaxed, texlaxed, whichever way you choose to wear it. Because of the misconceptions about Afro-textured hair, most of the methods employed in taking care of the hair, for the most part, are damaging which have in turn kept the hair from flourishing the way it naturally should. And I have every intention of rectifying that for myself.

And I believe that if I'm successful, I believe it will be be somewhat beneficial to the race as a whole.Yes, the negative stereotypes about afro-textured hair have been used to put down the race quite often for example the misconception that if a black girl has long hair she HAS to have some other race mixed in there. Because the girl couldn't have such a heralded trait (yes for the most part long hair is prized throughout the world) "being black" alone. Or the aforementioned fact about weaves being a desperate substitute for the hair we can't have.

And it's not as serious as it sounds. I know that hair is just that--hair. I've been taking care of my hair (the wrong way) for as long I can remember, and so have most people out there (i.e. we all wash it and style either ourselves or we go to the salon). The only difference now is that I'm actually taking care of it in a way that is actually beneficial to the hair. And I believe the benefits would show and inspire others.
Like I said before, I don't want long hair, I want to know that I have the option of having long hair. So I'm going to keep along on my journey to give myself that option.


No comments:

Post a Comment